Zombies

(No, really, this actually does have something to do with Diana Gabaldon's books!)

Diana mentioned on Compuserve today that she will be writing a story called "Lord John and the Plague of Zombies" for an upcoming anthology. (Of course the story won't even be started until she's done with ECHO, which we all hope will be soon!)

Here's what she said when I asked if she was just kidding about that title:

No, I wasn't kidding. <g> Though I do need to check the etymology of "zombie," and see whether the word would have been in use (not necessarily in English, just in existence) by 1760 or so. (Also have no idea whether this story takes place while Lord John is Governor of Jamaica, or during his earlier adventures.)

[Edited to add that this all started when my UK editor sent me--as a joke--the cover art for an upcoming book titled PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES, and my US agent in an unrelated email was talking about paranormal books and remarked that this seemed to be the year of the zombie, as there were several new titles he was aware of that dealt with same. Next thing I know, along comes an invitation to write for an anthology dealing with mad scientists, and bing! You know, serendipity. <g>]

4 comments

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

The first thing that came to my mind was the P&P one! Just the cover alone! Although, at least zombies in Jamaica sounds a bit more realistic than in Regency England! I'll read it!

Joanne said...

Belive it or not, I have not read any of the LJ books as I'm saving them for after ECHO. I'll need something to fill in the time between ECHO and the next(or last)book. I'm currently drafting a letter (in my head) to post on the refrigerator in anticipation of the Sept. release of ECHO. It goes something like this:

Dear Family:
For the next few days, Mom will be taking a temporary leave of absence. I will only be available for broken bones, fevers over 100 degrees, or profuse blood loss -- all other emergencies are to be directed to your father (he's the one sleeping in the recliner with the tv remote).
Food and drinks are in the fridge -- help yourself. Brush your teeth and do your homework.
Love you --
Mom

Karen Henry said...

Joanne:

That is priceless! <laughing> I'm sure a lot of people will be making similar announcements to their families that week!

As for the Lord John books, Diana has said there is one subplot in ECHO that will have a lot more resonance if you have read LORD JOHN AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BLADE, but it will still be understandable if you haven't.

Karen

Joanne said...

Hmmmm, that's interesting about the subplot in ECHO relating to LJBB -- must the LJ books be read in order, or do they stand alone? I might be able to fit BB in before ECHO, although my to-read pile is going through the roof! So many books, so little time!

Though this question doesn't relate directly to The Books, I'd be interested in knowing what other kinds of books you enjoy reading (although it's pretty much a given that DG's books are at the top of our priority list). My current pile of books to enjoy are: Jean Auel's The Valley of Horses, The Mists of Avalon by Marion Bradley, The Source by James Michener (love this writer), Nefertiti by Michelle Moran, and White Oleander by Janet Fitch, just to name a few. I also enjoy experiencing the classics -- can't get enough of 'em! Madame Bovary, The Scarlet Letter, A Tale of Two Cities, anything Poe.....it's all good!

Powered by Blogger.