All About Romance article on audiobooks

I was interested to see that Outlandish Observations was mentioned in the "All About Romance" blog today. The subject: favorite audiobook narrators. And #2 on their list is none other than Davina Porter, narrator of the unabridged OUTLANDER audiobooks.

As many of you know, I've been an OUTLANDER-audiobook addict for about the last three years. (I'm currently listening to DRAGONFLY -- again <g> -- on my iPod.) I just love Davina Porter's readings.

As the "All About Romance" article puts it:

With her Scots heritage (English father and Scottish mother) as well as the fact that she is married to a Scot, [Ms. Porter] knows how to deliver those Scottish accents and can effectively perform numerous dialects in one scene – and often all men. Describing Ms. Porter’s voice isn’t an easy task since there is so much to praise. It’s completely soothing to the ear, cultivated, engaging, and basically “right on” for any character.

If you haven't yet listened to the OUTLANDER audiobooks, you can hear free samples on audible.com. (That's the way I got hooked, back in the spring of 2007. <g>) And all of the unabridged audiobooks are available through Recorded Books.

Oh - and the reason for my blog being mentioned in this article? That would be the very interesting two-part video interview with Davina Porter which I blogged about in early 2009. (If you haven't yet seen it, it's well worth watching. A fascinating behind-the-scenes look at what it's like to do what she does.)

The ironic part about all this, of course, is that I'm not actually a reader of romance novels. <g> Diana Gabaldon sometimes talks about readers who "wouldn't be caught dead in the Romance section of a bookstore", and I am definitely one of them. Not that I have anything against Romance as a genre, I hasten to add! It's just not a genre that appeals to me. So I'm amused and flattered that my blog got a mention on a site that's geared toward readers of romance novels. Thanks very much to Lea Hensley at All About Romance for the article!

2 comments

Anna I. said...

I'm in the middle of re-listening to "Dragonfly" as well. I do LOVE Davina Porter, though I've found that she changed the voices for Jenny and Ian in the audio version of "Echo" and that, for some reason, really threw me off. But I still really enjoyed "Echo" in audio too.

Karen Henry said...

I have to say I liked her Brianna-voice much better in ECHO than in previous books. She seems to have consciously tried to give her more of an American accent.

Karen

Powered by Blogger.